Thursday, August 30, 2007

Respiratory Tourette's Syndrome

I think I have hay fever again.

Maybe it's aggravated by the fact that I have received no fewer than 40 mosquito bites since monsoon season started last month. I am a fucking histamine bomb. Not sexy.

When did this all start (again)? Well, in my (very young) youth, I was the stereotypical sniffly, rheumy-eyed kid beset by strange rashes and a chronic sinus infection. "Back to School" time sucked, because

1. I went to Catholic school, which meant we started while still in the throes of August sultriness. Uniform NOT optional.
2. My hay fever would kick in, ensuring that my little Kleenex fort would make positive social interaction with my peers even harder.

This was the case through high school. I made accommodations, but would still doze off my Benedryl cocktail during math class and sport a red , raw nose to parties.

Then I moved off to college. Almost like magic, the scales fell from my eczema-crusted legs and first day of class was not marked by wheeziness. It was amazing! However, I also developed panic attacks that had me whimpering at a Subway Sandwich Shoppe that I was diabetic and just needed some OJ. And I started drinking and smoking pot daily. But whatever...no sniffles, no problem.

Forthe next 8 years, I had convinced myself that my mother had "given" me my allergies. Not in a creepy Munchausen way, but, tiring of all my doctors' hand wringing and placebo treatments she just convinced herself that I was allergic to ragweed, chocolate, peanuts, and aspirin. And that conviction convinced me.

Summer evenings were bug bite free, and autumn nights were not marred by a purse full of Kleenex. Until a couple years ago. What a bitch, I finally detox myself of what would eventually kill me... my autoimmune system goes crazy and makes living uncomfortable. Okay, there's no reason for being melodramatic, it's just a little uncomfortable, but still!

Anywho, I'm stocking up on Claritin for my weekend. Unlike high school, my allergies are NOT stopping me from getting laid if I have anything to with it.

No comments: