Friday, September 7, 2007

Oh, My Nose!


So I was looking for pictures of Angel Heart Mickey Rourke just now (after I was looking for pictures of Lisa Bonet, after I saw a gorgeous photo/postcard of her in the bookstore yesterday that I didn't buy).

So of course I stumbled upon some "plastic surgery disasters" websites. I earlier mentioned my distaste for people's Sisyphean quest to achieve some vague concept of physical perfection, with most of said distaste saved for doctors that are so very eager to "give someone their confidence" back through a labioplasty. But, man oh man, do I looking at how $$$ + vanity= gross disfigurement. I'm sad a little bit, I mean, how is it different whether some people carve up their bodies on the outside with silicone or on the inside with blow and booze? But still... science proves that you feel better with untrammeled endorphin production. Thinking that you've beat the ravages of time with Gore-tex lips is just plain wishful thinking and expensive and painful to boot!

So I found a site called bodyphilosophy that had all the usual suspects: Mickey, Melanie, Lara, Joan. But actually, it's a blog completely DEVOTED to the "enhancement" of one's appearance be it through surgery, pills, kooky exercises, what have you. I must say I learned some things...

Mentoplasty: chin augmentation
Brachioplasty: upper arm surgery...makes you less wiggly
blepharoplasty: eyelid lift...makes you look less chinky
ubilicoplasty: no more outie!

But right about the 5th page, they had a video on a pertinent topic Body Dysmorphic Syndrome

Now, I'm not saying that you have to have BDS just because you'd like to have a bit less tummy. But still, I found it weird.

No comments: